There are two very important things you need to bring with you if you plan on having a successful study abroad experience: your Bitch Face and your Bar Weave.
The B Face
I learned about the B Face freshman year of college. It is everything you need to tell the world to get out of your personal bubble, because you definitely are not someone they want to mess with.
Why It’s Important
In America we are used to most people understanding the word “no”. Here in Italy, venders and promoters will not leave you alone, talking at you, shoving flyers and leather goods in your face, even following you down the street, no matter how many times you tell them to get lost. The B Face is key in avoiding this kind of interaction all together.
How to Achieve It
- Head up, shoulders back. Good posture is key in showing off your confidence.
- Purse your lips ever so slightly.
- Completely direct your focus. Trying to get across town? Keep your eyes straight ahead to your destination.
- Put your B Face on.
- Know exactly where you’re trying to get to. If you have no idea where you’re going, or your face is lost in a map, this is not going to work.
- Don’t try to walk in a straight path. It’s called the Bar Weave of a reason. People will not move, so you need to move around them.
- When in a crowd: angle one shoulder in front of the other and stick that hand out slightly as a guide to be used to create space. If you’re in a club this works perfectly, especially when you throw in some dance moves along the way.